National parks in the North
Klong Wang Chao National Park
Klong Wang Chao was gazetted as a national park on 29 August 1990, covering 747 square kilometers of Klong Wang Chao and Klong Suan Mak forests in Kamphaeng Phet and Tak provinces.
Forest type and wildlife
The park comprises of mixed deciduous, hill evergreen, dry evergreen, dipterocarp and pine forests. Tectona grandis, Lagerstoemia tomentosa, Afzelia xylocarpa, Pterocarpus macrocarpus and Pinus merkusii are example of important trees.
Wildlife found in this place include elephant, samber deer, bear and many species of birds.
- Klong Wang Chao waterfall: It is a big waterfall where water fall over 60 meters high cliff to the pool below. Situated on km 29 of Wang Chao - Lo Ko road.
- Pak Klong Nakiri: A natural rapid over granite rocks. It is a meeting point of Klong Wang Chao and Klong Nara Kiri. (Klong = river stream or canal)
- Samo Kluay waterfall: A medium size waterfall with 5 levels. Located 1.5 km from Wang Chao waterfall.
- Tao Dam waterfall: A waterfall with 3 high levels. The third level shoots water down 270 meters that makes it great and wonderful.
- Hot well: Warm water erupts from the earth face with average temperature of 50 to 70º C. The area covers 1 rai or 1,600 square meters. It is located about 1.5 km from Tao Dam. It is a habitat of wild pig, barking deer and amber deer.
- Nan Kao Roo: It is named by hill tribe people. Lo Ko stream flows through the mountain to the other side.
- Pha Klom: It looks like a big pencil diving the earth face. The steep cliff is reached by trekking from Nam Kao Roo for 3 km.
- Pong Gas: A small hot well that contains hot water and sulphur emitted out of the earth face.
- Khao Panang cave: A 100 meters long big cave located near Klong Suan Mak.
Three bungalow style rooms are available at the headquarters area. Also provided are camp ground,
car parking, rest rooms, and a visitor information center.
How to get there
From the town of Kamphaeng Phet take the road no. 1 heading to Tak province for 36 km to Wang Chao market. Take a left turn at a T-intersection in Ban Denda, following Wang Chao national park sign mark.
Klong Wang Chao National park
P.O.Box 69, Kampaeng Phet Province Post Office, Amphur Kosamphi, Nakhon Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand 62000
Phone: 055-766 006, 055-766 007