National parks in the North
Aob Khan National Park
The park is located in Samoeng, Mae Wang and San Pa Tong districts of Chiang Mai province. It covers 691square kilometers. Ob Khan is a large natural diversity, comprising fertile forest with several interesting spots.
Topography and climate
Ob Khan is limestone and granite mountains. It is 400 to 1,800 meters above sea level, comprising Ob (Canyon), caves, waterfalls and hot springs. Important rivers include Mae Wang, Mae Win and Mae Khan. The weather is comfortably plesant all year round.
How to get there
- Ob Khan gorge: A 30 meters high cliffs facing each another, encompassing Mae Khan river. It is believed that it was formed by the earth surface cracking.
- Pha Ok Ma: It is located 50 meters from Ob Khan. The cliff is cleaved by many streams. On the other side, the cliff is not high and there are many plants creating impressive view.
- Huay Ta Sai: It is a curve section of Mae Khan river, located about 1 km from the parking area. The river is shallow and wide and good for swimming. The riverside is covered by grass and flower.
- Pha Toob: A short cliff not far from parking area. There are stones beautifully shaped by water current.
- Huay Pong: It is located 2 km from the parking area. There is a pool good for swimming.
- Mae Wang river: It is located in Amphur Mae Wang. Use the road number 108, Chiang Mai - Hod for 23 km. Then turn right and follow the road number 1013 (Sun Pa Tong - Bo Kaew) for 20 km. This river is next to Doi Inthanon National Park.
- Takkatan cave: It is 7,000 meters long big cave comprising stalactites, stalagmites and rooms that can contain 500 - 2,000 people. Ancient sculpted pictures can be seen in the cave. The cave is situated in Ban Phong and Hang Dong districts. Use the road number 1269 (Hang Dong - Samoeng) for 25 km and you will arrive there.
From Chiang Mai city travel to Hang Dong district (to the south) for 15 km. Turn right (to the west) into the road: Nam Prae - Ob Khan and drive for 11 km, along Mae Khan river, to get to the park's headquarters.
There is a campsite in the park but visitors have to bring their own tent and equipment.
Ob Khan National Park
Tambol Prae,Hang Dong district
Chiang Mai province 50230
Phone: 086 181 1068